SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
If you're gonna be going outside, I'd recommend picking up Steve Dodge's guide to inlets along the SE coast, invaluable for someone doing the trip for the first time:
Jon and I must have been typing at the same time.

I strongly endorse his recommendation of Dodge's Inlet Guide. I have a copy on Auspicious and another in my delivery go-bag.

Heading to Florida from the Chesapeake I usually plan to head offshore from Norfolk/Little Creek and go straight through to my destination. Weather may dictate otherwise but that is my base plan.

Regardless, once offshore whether from Norfolk or Beaufort I stay offshore unless weather or the boat dictate otherwise. Interpret all my guidance in that context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
In that section, if you carefully plan your stops (using Skipper Bob's ICW guide, etc.) you can usually make 60-70+ statute miles per day at that time of year.
There are lots of good guides. A lot depends on you and how you interpret the layout. Doyles, Kettlewell, Waterway Guides, Skipper Bobs all have different formats for fundamentally the same information. I have Kettlewell and Skipper Bob's aboard and usually use Kettlewell although I've been leaning toward the Doyle's guide to give it a try - I like their format.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook