SailNet Community - View Single Post - Watkins 27
Thread: Watkins 27
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013

gonewthewind is on a distinguished road
Re: Watkins 27

I have owned a watkins 27 built in 81 for a couple years now, and have sailed her from upper chessapeake to florida and lived on board for a year. I find them to be really great boats, she's a lot stronger than you think and can take some weather. Didnt have a problem in small craft advisory winds in the chesepeake but sure got scared for my life a few times before I learned to trust her! They arent fast but they werent designed to be racers, great for weekend sails or cruising bahamas. They are overrigged in my opinion which is good, due to the beam and overhead I've heard they are nicknamed "wide-kins". The bad, make sure she has the 15hp diesel as the one cyl does not move her well at all. My friend had the same boat but with the one cyl and there was a big diference. Look on watkinsowners.com good page with a lot of helpful people. Mine also has the encapsulated keel and takes on water, but I believe its due to shabby fiberglass repair from hitting bottom as I have found no separation and it has never been an issue. I would buy another watkins in a heartbeat is the bottom line! Hope this is helpful!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook