SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013

peterchech is on a distinguished road
GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?

My father is setting up his C&C 32 for a Bermuda trip, in the middle of a complete refit and he has decided to invest in some decent electronics. But we are unsure what the best place to mount them is.

He has:
1) Raymarine GPS Nav unit, Autopilot (wheel mount), Autopilot control unit (basically the control buttons), and wind/speed/depth units. These all are integrated together on the GPS Nav unit, so you can control the autopilot from the nav unit and connect it to the wind if desired. The whole thing can also be controlled by an ipad wirelessly.

We are leaving the very old autopilot control unit and most hardware in place, as a back up that can be hooked up in a few hours if the new autopilot should fail.

Since the whole thing can be controlled by an ipad from under the dodger if wanted anyway, my thoughts are to put the GPS unit on the pedestal, since most hand steering will be done in the places that the GPS is most important, ie between reefs/schoals/harbors. If it is nasty out and course changes need to be made, the ipad can handle it from inside or from under the dodger. However my father thinks it might be better to mount the GPS screen on the bulkhead, since it is less likely to be noticed and maybe stolen there.

2)AIS. I'm not sure whether this is a separate unit or hooks up to the GPS screen.

3) 4g radar, simrad. Where should this screen be mounted? Im guessing pedestal as well, but we may want to set it up at sea so that it beeps when it sees a contact and therefore alerts us, not sure we will hear it from the pedestal

Any recommendations are highly appreciated! I have no experience with serious electronics like this...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook