SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road
Re: GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?

Ipads get wet -gone. Fine for nav station but not up above. Rocky seas they get dropped. Not good off the shelf. If you have the money good to have displays at wheel and over companion way. If only one display having radar at wheel best.(use biggest display here). Can look at radar and use your eyes to scan horizon. I set up my new boat with multipurpose displays at wheel, over companionway under hard dodger and at nav. station. Any one can serve as "master". Redundency gives me comfort. I find we are rarely behind wheeL ( autopilot). Only there at land falls. Usually under dodger when on watch then up to scan sails and horizon periodically. On your boat see if having display on a swinging arm would allow you to get away with one display that could be seen at all three spots. Only problem is in weather would want boat buttoned up and lose ability to see display. Outside of racing once offshore other than sailing instructions really don't look that often.