SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside

I haven't done the number of trips south that many here have. But, chucks post above is pretty indicative of how my last trip down to Fla. Went.

Annapolis to Portsmith overnight. The weather outside was frightful..( just a play on xmas song) So we stayed inside and made very good time heading south in the ICW. I think our 1st anchorage was behind Kitty Hawk after pushing a long day. The next day was Ocracoke after a pre-dawn start. We kept checking weather and ocean conditions and didn't get outside until we reached the Cape Fear River. Then 36 hours straight to Jacksonville. We had following seas..and fresh north winds the whole ocean trip ( it was fall)
I don't know if I would have wanted to beat into a SW wind with 8 ft seas.. having it all behind us, was pretty managable though. I had a little jib out and didn't touch it for 24 hours.

So weather and conditions really dictated our route and decision making, and we had plan A, B, and C.. ready to deploy.

So, I think my suggestion would be to be flexible..and keep all your options open, re-evaluate your plan every day..based on the conditions, the crew and the vessel.

Last edited by Tempest; 04-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook