SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
My view on these matters is biased. It's easy to waste a lot of money and time on an old boat because you love the boat.

I really meant to express that one should try to take a critical eye when thinking about getting into a moderate project like this. The "what's it worth to you" idea is one I am very familiar with, as I often justified what I did expressing that very sentiment. I no longer subscribe to that notion after trying it though.

Now I believe in the "what's it worth to a sane person/would a sane person do what I am thinking about doing" notion. Things seem to be working out better this way so far...
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying that buying another large, old, inexpensive, risky boat could end up in the same result or worse, so giving up this one and starting over with another similar boat is just doubling down on the same risks. IMO the most direct way to reduce the risk is to spend more or go smaller (assuming it's from a reputable builder). But people have budget limits and want a certain size boat for various reasons, so they take the risk (and sometimes it ends up costing them).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook