SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013

KiwiSails is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis, MD to South FL on ICW & Outside

All - some great advice.

Jon, your awesome article was one of the ones I found in my search of info recently, it was very helpful.

Also I had read travlineasy thread on his experience on the ICW (which gave me some pause due to the risks eg. Powerboaters wake, running aground, etc)

I must took my distance figures from the coast pilot charts wrong, I believe its in nautical mileage. But total distance is about the same

SVAuspicious is correct we were going to bring some additional fuel cans, to extend the stops. However I had calculated GPH at 1.5 based on the engine HP rating. So that would give me 24 hours running under motor. Not 54-60, I am hoping his number is correct, that would be a major improvement.

I had already decided that I would take the ICW at least to Beaufort for the reasons listed, even with a some pre-sailing experience I would rather play it safe around Hatteras. And nice to hear, that this is a sound option.

Post that assuming all is good, ill look to take outside route at Beaufort down, and will have a look at some of the guides etc.

And, yes true, any plan needs to adjust according to the conditions on the day, I have been caught times before in very changeable conditions in NZ.

Keep in mind, the trip won't be for a few months and in the interim Ill be taking the boat out as much as possible so should be familiar with her after a few solid months of sailing, plus will give me the time to work out any kinks on the boat.

All thanks for the great input, really helps.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook