SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?

I suppose it's a matter of taste and preference, but those huge "nav pods" at the helm certainly block visibility, ruin your night vision and distract you from looking out at what's in front of the boat and around you. Beth Leonard and Evans Starzinger published somewhere (in her Cruising handbook?) that when they circumnavigated on their first boat they had all the instruments mounted on the pedestal. Over the circumnavigation they had to replace every instrument at least once. On their next boat (Hawk), they put the instruments below or under the hard dodger where they could be seen but would be protected from the elements. I did the same when I added some new instruments. I have a GPS chart plotter/fishfinder mounted under the hard dodger. I remove it from the bracket when I leave the boat and store it inside the cabin. In the cockpit I only need to see the depth, compass and plotter screen, the rest I use at the chart table.