SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?

I've been assigned to the helm of OPBs that have the pod above the helm and thought it was great. Especially as we were entering and exiting harbors that I was less familiar with. While I agree that it would wreck night vision (although you can turn them down and new model will go white on black), I can argue it is safer to only have to glance and not completely take your attention off where you are going.

We have the luxury of dual helms and the plotter is in the center, under the cockpit table. It needs to be on a swivel, so it can be canted to either side and it isn't. With polarized sunglasses, the screen goes completely blank from one side. I've considered whether I would prefer to have two smaller unit mounted above each helm and its been a tempting thought. However, while at the helm of those OPBs, I always has plenty of other crew around, keeping an eye on things. On our boat, I can often be the only person above deck and do think they would block visibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook