SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?

A lot depends on the size of your cockpit. On larger aft cockpit boats with a dance floor between the wheel(s) and the companionway things get complicated. On the OP boat I would put all the instruments over the companionway and the plotter to one side or the other on the cabin top but under the dodger.

My rationale is that you spend most of your time on watch under the dodger with the autopilot steering. The instruments can be seen from anywhere in the cockpit. Even smaller displays (7 or 8") can be seen pretty well from the wheel even by my aging eyes. The added benefit is that because the displays are too far away from the wheel to mess around with when behind the wheel you won't have your head down over the electronics instead of paying attention to what is outside the boat.

I agree with the earlier statement that the wedding cakes of Navpods are a distraction and block one's view. They seem to be what people want but I don't think they are a good idea.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook