SailNet Community - View Single Post - Biogas Producing Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Biogas Producing Holding Tank

Most holding tanks are in the 20-30 gallon range, which equates to ~50 litres (26.7 gal to be more precise). However, just because a holding tank can hold 30 gallons, they usually are not more than 2/3 full. You want to cram it to full capacity, because of the danger of overfilling, or any leakage.

Didn't the story line of Waterworld have something along these lines, using pig waste... or was it Mad Max III?

I am unclear on the ratio of methane produced per volume of black water, per unit of time. You seem to be equating volume of black water with volume of gas, or implying that the ratio is 1:1. I don't think that you will get that much. Also, if it takes 3 months to achieve a complete processing of the material, then it isn't going to be practical (what do you do with the rest of your effluent for the 3 months). I would also think that the temperature and composition (ratio of solid to liquid, pH, affect of Cl, etc.) of the black water would have a direct affect on the efficiency of the production from the bacteria.

I am not trying to discourage you, as I believe the idea has merit. If you get it to work, and patent it, you'll be rich and famous! However, I doubt that it will be simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 04-05-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook