SailNet Community - View Single Post - GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: GPS and other displays, pedestal mount or other?

The height of the navpods can be adjusted. On our boat they are not in the way of my wife visions at all and she's 5'2". That's not an issue. As far as distractions. Its only a distraction if you allow it to be another misnomer. It doesn't hurt our night vision as we turn the backlight way down. Another urban myth debunked.

Interesting discussion. The way some of us sail may determine how you use the charplotter and instruments. If most of the time I was using an autopilot, off shore or in large bodies of water where I didn't need to reference the plotter I would agree about its placement away from the helm.

I doubt the OP with a 32 foot C&C similar to mine is that kind of sailor and I believe most of his sailing is done around NY harbor and LI Sound if I remember right.

I try an answer threads as succinctly to what the OP has in terms of a boat and not generalize or relate it just to mine. In this case his and my boats have identical cockpits just 3 ft. larger on mine.

So if he placed this under his dodger, as some have suggested which on C&C are low, as on my boat which is similar, his CP screen. radar screen. AIS screen would be approximately 8-10 feet away from where he was standing at the helm.

I don't care how good your eyes are ( and mine aren't anymore), I could never read the AIS signatures, Radar signatures on the CP from that distance. Its too far away to do you any good without leaving the helm. I would have a hard time reading the lettering on the CP and I have a 9 inch one. Since I single hand a lot, I don't necessarily want to leave the helm. If you don't believe me do this test. Type out a page of words in 8 font and place it under the dodger. Stand behind the helm and tell me if you can read it let alone adjust the radar, or zoom out.

Since I am sailing in waters which can be crowded or run ups to shallow waters to tack as opposed to the open ocean where you set long open settings where you don't move the wheel, the chart plotter helps immensely in your depth readings along with the depth finder on your tacks.

Placing it under the dodger would virtually render it useless except for my guests. Besides he has an I pad as a repeater he can keep under there. I think I did read that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook