SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

From the tone of the E-mail, it seems to me that he thinks the boat is a POS and he doesn't want to work on it.

I called the insurance company and filed a claim. This should be fun. For those who don't know, I bought my last boat, a Catalina 25, in October of 2011. We sailed until late November, and had a blast. I spent from February through April cleaning, upgrading, refinishing, recovering cushions, etc. for the boat, and was very proud of her when she launched last Spring. Engine issues kept us from enjoying the boat until mid-season last year, but toward the end of the season, we started to get the hang of it and really enjoyed the boat. My plan was to keep her in the water until around Thanksgiving, then have her hauled. A work trip caused me to travel out of the country for two weeks in early October, but I was looking forward to sailing when I got home. Shortly after I arrived home, and almost a year to the day after we took ownership of her, Hurricane Sandy struck. I was able to get to the dock and adjust the lines and get almost everything of value off, which was fortunate. There was a steel tugboat next to us, and she sank. In so doing, she listed into our slip, and apparently our boat bashed against the tug for the better part of the second half of the storm, plus the nor-easter that followed (couldn't get into that area, or onto the docks, in the interim). The boat was underinsured (we got it for a song and I was going to get a survey at the end of the season), so the insurance company wound up totaling it. Now here I am, less than 6 months later, with another claim. The sad part is, neither of these was my fault.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 04-05-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook