SailNet Community - View Single Post - I've become very concerned about the weather...
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: I've become very concerned about the weather...

I wrote a long reply that Sailnet ate.

Summary:
The weather in PNW is very dynamic at this time of year and long range weather forecasts are nearly useless (but getting better thanks for a new long range weather radar). Pay a lot of attention to the next couple of days out, but little attention to the forecast beyond that.

The weather.gov (NOAA) and other weather sites do a poor job of picking icons for weather forecasts. Read the text, ignore the icons. For instance Tuesday has a 30% chance of rain and if it does rain it will be about 5 hundredths of an inch of rain (barely anything). NOAA is showing an icon for heavy rain, when they should just show one for clouds. Learn to use the hourly weather forecast on weather.gov, it's generally pretty accurate day of.

Port Townsend is a breezy place with unobstructed access to the Strait. The San Juan Islands are often sunnier and are almost always less breezy. Seattle is about as cloudy, but less breezy. Spring is about the breeziest time of year. It brings out more sailors (not cruisers) and more big races than summer.

It's two weeks into spring.

Most people work weekdays, so there are less boats on the water then. Last weekend there were tons of boats out of Shilshole on both Saturday and Sunday. I haven't seen so many empty slips since moving into Shilshole in early Fall.

Cliff Mass and Jeff Renner's books are PNW Weather are interesting and available at many used book stores around here. They will give you more insight into local weather patterns.

It's sunny, blue skies, and breezy in North Seattle right now while NOAA tells me there should be 95% cloud coverage. I don't get too hung up on weather forecasts.