SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I care so much for the other guy, that I would never and have never come close to ever hitting him. I care so much that I never move in tight quarters faster than I can fend off with a finger. I care so much that I use huge anchors and over sized cahin, over kill chafe gear. I set them by hand and dive them morning and evening. I care so much that in over 20 years I've never come close to messing with some ones bizzness. I care so much for the other guy, that I made sure I was fully trained in the art of boat handling before I went out and start handling my boat. Insurance in a foreign country is a false senese of security. look at the trouble that CKtalons girl had last year when she got hit here in the states. They will fight it tooth and nail to find a way not to pay for your mistake. I've Never had insurance in the Bahamas on my boat, and don't recall ever being asked for it any of the marinas I pulled into. The irresponsable guy is the one zooming around the marina and anchorage, in gear when he's already moving forward at 3 time the speed he needs to be because he's a self taught sailor who can afford to be a ninkapoop because, what the @#!*% , he has insurance. he's the one who does'nt care enough about the other guy to move at bear steerage way. Insurance is minding what you are doing to insure that you don't do dammage to other peoples property.
That being said, I have contemplated shopping for liability insurance this year. Mostly just to show that I actually give a sh!t. But I''m relocating to Central America. I'd like to hear some story's from people who have had an insurance company pay out in the Bahamas, or another country, what kind of policy it was, and what happened. ya know, the particulars.