SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vilm Yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
Having gone to the trouble of plans from JV it's a shame its not being built by a better known yard - saw mention of EUR200k in the water. Moody would probably do ok producing the 2 versions of this yacht.

Nice post. I agree with what you say except the above. I would rather put my trust om Vilm, that is an old familiar high quality company, than in Moody that has been bought by Hanse, that has a good quality but an industrial set up without the same quality for detail. Vilm shipyard has its origins on the XIX century.

Vilm is an old brand and I guess it is struggling for surviving. I have saw some of their boats and talk to the builder and I can only say good things. The problem is that this was a RDA company. When Germany unified itself the prices of RDA products raised sharply and the Vilm that was a good quality nice priced boat saw itself competing in price with the North European boats, that have a similar quality.

About one year ago I had posted about those new Vilm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Vilm goes modern, but not much: The German brand new models, the 115 and the 37 have not skeg rudders anymore and have a ballasted fin keel. Both boats share the same hull.

The boats look conservative but modern thanks to the Drawings of judel and vrolijk. Vilm are known to be well built and strong and I believe this two new models will open the Brand to a more vast number of sailors, provided they have the money for it because the Vilm are not cheap

The last well known boats with a good design but one that comes back from the last decades of the last century was the Vilm 101 and Vilm 117. The boats were well appreciated and the 116 (that is basically the 117) won 2002 contest for Best Production Cruiser Over $200,000 on Cruising World magazine.

Best Production Cruiser Over $200,000: Vilm 116 | Cruising World

Vilm 116 Sailboat Review | Cruising World

The 116 had been for many years their main boat but I really liked the more recent 101, a small swallow water cruiser intended for coastal and offshore work:

From then the company has made an erratic route with several boats made in very small number:

A 40ft, made in two versions, decksaloon and cruiser:

Yacht Charter Vilm 41 DS (2Cab) - Sailing Yacht in Rügen / Lauterbach - Germany

a nice Vilm 34:

http://www.agora-yachtcharter.com/tr...harter-vilm-34

But the problem seems that they cannot find their own way and a market for their boats. I guess that they should concentrate on the type of boat you posted and try to lower down production costs maintaining the quality. Making a lot of different boats in a small company does not help doing that.

I hope they find their way and manage to survive. They have a nice history behind, a tradition of quality and some great boats produced.

http://inter-yacht.com/Vilm/VilmRendezvous/

the new design is a nice one. I agree with you regarding the B/D ratio. I would maintain the ballast and would increase the draft to 2,00m. That would not give it a lot more stability as would solve the problem with the rudder at almost the same level as the keel. But this is a custom boat company and I am quite they would have no trouble in doing that.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-07-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook