SailNet Community - View Single Post - Haircuts while cruising?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Haircuts while cruising?

My loving spouse of more than a half-century has been cutting my hair for most of our married life. She's darned good at it, use both clippers and scissors, and it only takes her a few minutes to do the job.

Now, after six months in the sunny, Florida Keys and having a single haircut while there, which was about 4 months ago, the first thing I did after arriving home was to take a shower. (Probably needed one worse than I thought. ) Then I asked my wife if she would give me a haircut. She took one look at me and said "I think you better see the young girls at the beauty shop, at least this time." I aquiessed to her wishes, drove to the beauty shop, one of the teenyboppers there gave the old man a haircut, and I returned home. "Looks great." she said. "Now all you have to do is change the color."

After all that time in the keys, my hair had turned pretty much snow white, with a bit of blond on top. When you make your living as a musician/singer/entertainer, white hair doesn't cut it. Yeah, some of the ladies I know say it makes you look distinguished, but most think it makes you look extinguished. After 10 minutes with Garnier Nutrisse #60 (medium brown), the hair and mustache look a lot better.

While I was in Marathon, there was a gal there cutting hair nearly every day. She would cut the hair of 4 to 5 cruisers in just two hours, then clean up her cuttlerly, pack it away, climb aboard her dinghy and go back to the boat. She was pretty good at it, but I never could catch up with her when she was plying the barber trade. I suspect there's not many folks doing this for cruisers, which may account for why she was so busy.

I did see a lot of cruisers that definitely needed haircuts. There's no barber shops situated along the ICW that I know of, or saw. But, there were lots of guys wearing ponytails, sporting lousy looking beards and mustaches and looking kinda scruffy. I would venture a guess that a person could make a darned good living in lots of ports if they set up a barber chair in the cockpit of their boat. Keep in mind there were at least 250 boats on mooring balls at Boot Key Harbor, probably another 500 in various marinas, and one, small barber shop on the island. It would have really been neat to dinghy to someone's boat, climb aboard and say "Just a light trim today."

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook