SailNet Community - View Single Post - Favorite penetrating oil that DOESN'T STINK!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Favorite penetrating oil that DOESN'T STINK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I blasted the remaining two with PB and waited about 5 minutes. The one unbroken screw came right out with a quick blast of the impact driver despite having almost no grip left to it. I put my Knipex pliers on the broken one and was able to get it out. On the left side I simply sprayed with PB, waited five minutes, and both set screws backed right out with no damage to the heads..... These of course were not "scientifically rusted" on and had been naturally rusted, by real Maine winters...
Since you run into rusted parts on regular basis an have a history of doing practical science perhaps you would be willing to do an experiment.

If your experience is the same as mine we typically find that of several fasteners that are rusted tight often only one or two are really stuck.

If you would for next few projects use pb for half the fasteners and the homemade mix for the other half then the possibility of accidentally getting the easy one every time would be statistically reduced.

The fact that pb blaster worked on the same fastener after the acetone-oil treatment is evidence that pb works better but their is still the possibility that another AO treatment would have worked just as well.

Then again you may just want to get your work done and not amuse us.
Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook