SailNet Community - View Single Post - Favorite penetrating oil that DOESN'T STINK!
View Single Post
post #30 of Old 04-07-2013
Re: Favorite penetrating oil that DOESN'T STINK!

driz, some of the big ox stores have taken to hiding a "tool chest" on the shelves, with metric and stainless hardware jumbled up in it. Once you crack the code and go pearl diving, sometimes there is genuine good hardware in there.

And then there's Ace Hardware, that has little trays of all sorts of good hardware if you ask them where the adult section is. Most peculiar, because if you order from Ace's web site "ship to store, free!" the prices are often only 1/2 or 2/3 of the store's price. Same product, same pickup location, often 33% to 50% off if you wait the three days for the web order. Go figure.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy pearl diving in the metric/us mixed mess, pleeeeeaaasssse. If there is one thing I detest more than metric it's a mix of the vermin. The only way I find to get a proper metric is to take the old one right in my hand to the store, ughhhh. That is just one of the reasons I try to avoid American cars. Metric sucks but they almost exclusively use 12 10 `13 14 17, with little else mainly so they are fairly easy to decipher standing on your head. US cars are splattered with a closely matched mix of everything under the sun. Add some rust and who knows what they are till you round off the bolt.. It's a good thing that boats are simpler for all our sakes. I heard that Mercury is now making their outboards in compatible bolts meaning 13mm / 1/2 14/mm 9/16. Too bad no one else does. Nothing like good old Coarse or fine threads, so simple.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome