SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

The mid 80s H40 is a pretty interesting boat. I don't like the B&R rig myself, though it has a conventional backstay and is a masthead rig, the 'pre bend' induced by the swept spreaders and diamond stays is not adjustable enough for me.. but as a cruiser I'm sure that's a minor issue. Huge interior and large enough cockpit - but one thing you'll notice here is the lack of back support. With that large aft cabin this is a boat you find yourself sitting 'on' rather than 'in' while in the cockpit. However that's the trade off for the space below in that area - our boat is similar, but smaller, with a large bridge deck and the tall companionway ladder.

They have iron keels, so some extra attention needs to be paid to that, and at near 30 years old it's probably time to drop and inspect the keel studs and rebed (unless it's been done recently already)

They sail quite well, a fair bit of boat and can be had a reasonable prices.

The one caveat I'd watch for.. we've seen several of that vintage Hunters that have an odor below that's not pleasant and it's difficult to get rid of. Can't be sure of the cause, but I know of some who've bought and regularly used ozonators to try to get rid of it to no avail. Others don't appear to have that issue, but we've seen it on more than a few models over the years.Not sure if it's something to do with adhesives they may have used at certain times, or what exactly....

Can't go much wrong with the B First series either, though. I like the 375 of that era best.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook