SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So, tell me exactly what's so bad about a well-kept Hunter 40.
A couple weeks ago I was talking with a surveyor about hunters. He said he saw one get crushed just by being lifted in the slings of a travel lift. They're too lightly built. Since your list is narrow see if you can bend the ear of a surveyor and ask them about your chosen boats. A good one will have seen it all before.

There's also that Bob Perry guy, who offers boat purchase consulting services. He might know a thing or two....

Personally I really like beneteaus. I think they hit the sweet spot between being light, but strong enough, and well performing yet safe. Other reasons to hate the Hunter are the BNR rig. You'll NEVER be able to even dock-tune that thing without going aloft 4 times. Also too many bits to replace, inspect, and possibly fail. Hunters also have travelers that are usually 2 ft long. Basically, they don't have mainsheet travelers at at all. As a performance oriented sailor, that'll eat you up as you boom won't be center-line and your sail shape will suck, never mind not being able to dump the traveler when the wind picks up.

The queen bed in the aft cabin sure is nice though.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook