SailNet Community - View Single Post - Favorite penetrating oil that DOESN'T STINK!
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Favorite penetrating oil that DOESN'T STINK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
So Med, what ever happened to the engine and transmission? Was it toast from all you did? (hope not!!!)
Tranny doesn't seem to be leaking, so hopefully the seal is still good. The "alignment" that I hauled out to do turned into a major job. Basically, everything aft of the transmission is being replaced.

The previous owner installed a used prop-shaft that was too short. He had some kind of steel "coupler" fabricated at an auto shop and installed it to take up the space. Needless to say the hunk of rusted metal wasn't true to <3,000inch. Consequently no amount of alignment would help.

Once we started taking it apart we found that it had worn oval shaped holes where the bolts were attached to the transmission. It also had worn my packing gland into something other than a circle.

In order to try and survive from a financial perspective the yard has been kind enough to let me do as much work as possible even though it's not a do-it-yourself yard. Yesterday I cut the propshaft in half to facilitate removal. That was fun.

When she's all done she'll have a new (everything) and a drip-less packing. Should be good when it's done, except for the bill.... So far (fingers crossed) no damage from the penetrating oil on the tranny.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook