SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

The boat was towed yesterday from Chuck's slip over to Haven Harbour. She's hiding out there until my insurance can get over there to look for signs of an accident. If they find some (and I suspect they may), then we'll see what they can work out.

If there isn't any sign of an accident, then I'll have to figure out how to go. I've found another Allmand owner who has offered me his transmission and drivetrain in exchange for taking him out sailing (his boat was totaled in Sandy). I'll be happy to take him out sailing anway (good to get someone with knowledge of the boat's ability out with me), but that may be an option. I'm also interested to see what the marina says is wrong.

I wasn't able to stay aboard very long - the tow took about 3 hours, and ate into most of the usable part of my day. However, I was able to take a bunch of pictures of the engine and to look for some of the things that the local marina said were wrong, and I'm just not seeing it. For example, I know the hoses SHOULD be replaced, so I know how old they are, their condition, etc. But in looking very carefully at most of them, I don't see any that are anywhere near as bad as was suggested. Similarly, I don't see the prop shaft cutting into the hull. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for these, but nothing jumped out at me.

I had the impression that they really didn't want to do the work, and after having spent some time double-checking their suggestions, I'm even happier to not be having them do the work.

By contrast, Haven Harbor has been VERY gracious, and a nice place to deal with so far. My opinion may change, but for now I'm much more comfortable there.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook