SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I've found another Allmand owner who has offered me his transmission and drivetrain in exchange for taking him out sailing (his boat was totaled in Sandy).
WOW that is GREAT NEWS!!! That means another motor and tranny and you can keep yours for spares (or pull off all the good bits and just keep them).

Don't sweat the "bad hoses" thing. That's an opinion and if they aren't leaking they don't NEED to be replaced just yet. Get a second opinion from someone who won't be making money off of you.

I was told that my transmission was toast once. I was told that I "might" be able to motor it the 14 hrs or so to Seattle but I had better get towing insurance for the trip. That was 5 years and a LOT of motoring ago.... Opinions on when stuff "should" be replaced are just that. When stuff breaks, it needs to be replaced. Forecasting when something will break is trying to tell the future.

I'm not sure I buy the motor mounts or stuffing box issues either. Is the stuffing box leaking now? No? Then it's probably still good. If not, it's only $5-700 to have it torn out and replaced with a drip-less unit.

Sounds to me like things are looking up!

MedSailor

PS I'm not against preventative maintenance, but I am trying to draw a distinction between preventive maintenance and what MUST be done NOW.