SailNet Community - View Single Post - Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Apparently I'm not meant to have a boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
OK, one last round of questions. The boat slipped off the lift when they were hauling her for the inspection. The haul happened after the surveyor looked over the engine. Could a drop like this have done damage to the engine?

YES!

When the front sling let go, what happened? The entire weight of the boat (and now forward motion) was stopped by the aft sling. What exactly stopped the boat from slipping forward and off of the aft sling? I'd say, judging by the placement of the aft sling, the prop or rudder stopped the boat from slipping forward and getting underway.

The entire weight of the boat was suddenly pulling aft on the prop and prop-shaft. That could have destroyed a transmission. Good job you took a video (I always do too).

This is another reason why I like to use yards that use a "Sea-Lift" instead of a "Travel-Lift". I watched teenage yard-monkeys try FIVE times to raise my parents boat using a travel-lift and almost drop it. Dropping a boat is almost impossible to do with a sea lift.

BTW your hoses and log look fine.

MedSailor