SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are abandoned boats a big problem in the U.S?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Re: Are abandoned boats a big problem in the U.S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I have to snap some pictures in the boat yards full of sail and powerboats that have not moved in 15 to 20 years

And the gravel yards on town line road full of powerboats that will never see the water again as well as the ones in driveways here and there

The best time to see reality is late May early to early June at which point nothing else is getting launched

The problem with all the boats is the cost to bring it back to life exceeds the value by a large amount and the cost for a boatyard to take possession and pay for disposal is much higher than leaving them in a pile in the corner
Exactly. They are no longer "boats" they are boat shaped rubbish.

I recently watched an episode of "Shipwreck Men" on TV which is yet another reality series. They followed a few different tow/salvage companies in FL. I watched what they went through to recover a 34-36' trawler than had been allowed to run aground and sit derilect for years. It was defintely an expensive proposition to haul the boat off the beach, tow it to be hauled out and trucked for demolition. However, I was surprised at how quickly it was then rendered into landfill sized pieces, by smashing it with a tractor blade in a purpose built bay to keep everything contained until time to scoop it in to a dumptruck for dispoasal. Much quicker than chainsawing into managable bits.

I think it would make sense to have some sort of facility to strip the salvageable parts and dispose of boat carcasses at some of the larger boat yards to reduce the logistical challenge and cost of disposing of boats that have outlived their usefullness. Some owners might be willing to foot the bill to eliminate the ongoing storage costs and it would reduce the cost of disposing of derelicts removed by marinas or state agencies.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook