SailNet Community - View Single Post - What made you buy your boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: What made you buy your boat?

Our current boat, an I-28, a hurricane and a po with little interest and opportunity. While hauling our Marshal Cat one November I was approached at the town dock by a guy who had just sailed it up from Boston. He had flooded the a-4, scared himself out of his interest for sailing and had no place to put the boat. It was barely tied to one of the moorings that had been vacated for the season. At the time we were keeping an eye out for a small cruising boat to enjoy our coast. He offered me the boat, Avon, tools, Mustang gear, everything that was tied to the mooring for $1500.00. I told him I would move it to a safe mooring and secure it for the coming storm, which I did, and that I would take a look at it so I could consider his offer. It sounded fishy to me. I moved it using the Marshall and then hauled my little boat. After the blow I went aboard (by canoe) to inspect what was there. Everything was there from harnesses, Mustang suits, a 2 hp obm for the Avon. GPS, VHF, spin pole, whisker pole, sails in good condition, spares for the engine, etc. I did some checking into the boat and the po. He had purchased it from a school where it had been donated after spending 20 years on the hard. He had some work done in Boston and decided to start his adventure into sailing. He decided he preferred downhill skiing. I bought it and we have enjoyed sailing it for 6 years this year. (I replaced the A-4 with a Moyer rebuilt, fw cooled engine) The price was a factor. It turned out to be a great small cruiser. Perfect for short cruises here along the Maine coast. It isn't as painful to upgrade things given the starting point and the Admiral wants to keep it when we buy a larger boat? I don't think I am going to try to keep up with two!

Down

Last edited by downeast450; 04-08-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook