SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
How about a "project-to-be" that I am going to do.

I have three boys, and a welcome addition would be a screen to show movies. The wiring involved however, with the DVD an all, was over kill. Not to mention the draw of the screen AND DVD player.

At home I have been playing with an Apple TV and it is amazing!

I plan to have a low amp draw flat panel connected to an Apple TV and then a wireless booster. Then I can suck down internet moves like Netflix with this one device.
I have an Apple TV at home and love it, in fact I've had two. However the one I now have is an Apple TV 2, and is hacked so that it can be used as a full media player; ie. you can hook it to an outboard drive and play your own movies as well as use the Netflix client, or rent from iTunes. The Apple TV 3 cannot yet be hacked in the same way, so you would be limited to Netflix and iTunes. I would hate to drive anybody away from the company whose stock I own, but you might consider one of the other set top boxes that will allow you to do both - there are several of them. It would help tremendously anytime you're away from a wi-fi signal, such as when you might spend a night at anchor.

Another way you might go is with a full-sized iPad. It is big enough for three boys to watch a movie, plus it does all that other stuff that is great on a boat, from acting as a pretty darned good chartplotter, to storing recipes, to keeping all of your boat's operational manuals in one place. And it is all in one piece, and the current draw is minimal.

That is a topic for a medium-buck thread, however.