SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
Always tired

One is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I know it's probably been posted before, and it's not quite new, but this one would be a blast to cruise long-term in:

It's the Paradox 60 (actually 63 feet).

Quote:
"Peter, who likes talk about his boat and not himself, has been trying to build a cruising multihull for over a decade," Lewis explained. "Paradox was built from ORMA 60 parts, with the basis being the last Fuji 60, which was designed by Nigel Irens. But since Paradox is a cruising boat, her mast is just 85 feet instead of 100 feet, and she's 48 feet wide rather than 60 feet wide. But she only displaces eight tons. Compare that with the 18 tons of the catamaran Phaedo, our Voiles competition, which is the lightest and fastest Gunboat 66 ever built."

What's Paradox like inside, we asked, assuming she was completely stripped out. "She's beautiful!," responded Lewis. "The captain's quarters are under the cockpit, there are bunks in the floats, she has a dining room table, a stove and refrigeration, hot water, a nav station — the whole works. I first saw Paradox after the conclusion of the 2011 Caribbean 600 that I did on Phaedo, but I didn't pay much attention to her. Then last October, while on my way to pick up my kids near Waukegan, Maine, I saw this gray trimaran sailing at warp speed — 20 knots — on port tack up the coast. It was Peter and his captain, Olivier Vigoureux, who were headed to Camden to visit the best restaurant in Maine. I gave chase, but was never able to catch them. Intrigued by the tri and her owner, I emailed Olivier, but never heard back from him. So I emailed Nigel Irens, and through him met Peter and ended up down here racing on a Caribbean sailing holiday."

Paradox did her second Caribbean 600 this spring, as well as the Heineken, BVI Spring Regatta and the Volies, so she's been one of the more active racing boats in the Caribbean. "We're now all headed to Crossroads for detox," laughed Lewis. "Actually, I'm headed back to Maine, where I hope to get my peas planted. "

We hope to have a report from Aschenbrenner on Paradox in the near future.
Text from here:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook