SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklaus View Post
Yesterday was our first voyage on Cordelia. Man what a day – I think she handled it a lot better than we did.

Despite spending Saturday doing the rigging and final system checks, we still weren’t able to pull out of Smith’s until close to noon. We had white caps all the way down the Severn. Since it was our first sail – and my first time to rig the boat – we figured consistent 22-24 knot (saw a gust up to 31) winds and 2-3 ft seas would be a bit too adventurous for the first sail and would only be a) asking for trouble and b) convince my wife to never set foot on the boat again.

We only saw one other boat out on the Bay proper – a 40 ft plus J Boat with about 6 crew. Beautiful boat and man they were chugging along.

Pulled into the West River late afternoon – still had the white caps but luckily the waves died down. The winds even died down some and I thought the day might turn after all. Checked the anemometer to see “died down” was still 18 knots.

Luckily the winds were blowing us out of our slip, but we still had to dock fast because the second I knocked us out of gear we would start blowing out of the slip. After two failed attempts, I pulled in going close to two knots. That gave us enough momentum to get tied off.

Wasn't the best day, but was good to get out there.
Ill bet you had an interesting day heading South on the Bay. actually a small sail up hile motoring would help stabilize the bost, but understand not testing the first day as it was really blowing and gusty. We headed north and etched a few southern bound boats getting crushed.

Rig up a permanent spring line with the proper length from the dock to catch first and connect to midship cleat on the jib track . It will be your first line always coming and last going. It prevents you from hitting the dock, and floating out while you get the other lines to secure the boat.

Yesterday was not a docking day for the faint of heart as we saw 20 knots directly being us " pushing us into the slip" . Grabbing that line stopped the boat.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-08-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook