SailNet Community - View Single Post - solar charging problem - troubleshooting help please!
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: solar charging problem - troubleshooting help please!

Well, on Saturday I went down to the boat to see about the charging problem and after a few hours of testing and checking things and troubleshooting I discovered a loose connection from the controller to the positive bus (from where it would go to the battery). I cleaned and tightened the connection and it seems to have fixed the problem. I also cleaned up the negative connection as well. I will be certain all is working again when I next go to the boat. I expect to find the main battery bursting with 12.8 volts. If not, something could be still wrong, including the battery itself.

From this experience I realize that I really should have some sort of battery monitor to measure amps in and out (not just voltage). Is there a simple, reliable (and inexpensive) battery monitor you can recommend? FYI, my battery bank has one 180amp main house battery and a 70amp starter battery on its own battery switch. I may upgrade to two 180amp house batteries in the future. I would need a battery monitor that could handle two banks (starter / house). Any suggestions?

Thanks!