SailNet Community - View Single Post - What made you buy your boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: What made you buy your boat?

I bought my Catalina 25 because I wanted a boat that could let me try racing, cruising, and would be forgiving to my novice sailing skills. I looked at about a dozen boats and knew that I wanted an outboard and simple systems to keep the costs down. The Catalina 25 had the best bones of everything that I looked at and was a pretty good price. I learned a lot on it despite only owning it under a year and a few hundred hours of sailng. I still sail on it all the time since a friend bought it from me.

I bought my Pearson 28-2 because two weeks of cruising on the Catalina 25 made it feel too small and I got sick of not being able to stand up. I knew that I loved sailing from owning the Catalina and was willing to buy a much more expensive boat. However I hate high ongoing costs and in Seattle it is considerably cheaper to own a bit just under 30' than a 30' boat (due to how Shilshole Marina prices slips). I like the big open layout of the Pearson, the lack of interior bulkheads made it feel larger than any of the 30' boats that we looked at. A friend and good sailor had one so I got a personal opinion from a local as well as being able to go on internet reviews. It was also in much better condition than the dozen or so other 28-32' boats that we looked at and asking price was only a little more. Other leading contenders were an Islander 30 Bahama and C&C 30. Now that I've owned it for about 7 months and have sailed it quite a bit I think it was the right choice for us. It is a great boat for a cruising couple.

I've always been very interested in sailing, but finally got into it when I learned that I was going to get a long leave at work. I love "slow travel" where the method of travel is more than just getting to the destination. Sailing is really my new bike touring.