SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort

Zee:
I agree with you. It's the same problem with have with lots of things these days, i.e. "my way or the highway". It's too easy and convenient to just jump into one camp and buy their total argument, "Old is bad" or "Good is bad". It's a bit more complicated than that.

Some smart person may be able to write a formula that balances motion comfort against VMG. I think of it like this:

If I were on a long passage would I be willing to give up some motion comfort for boat speed if it meant that I arrived at my destination 3 days ealier? A week earlier? Ok, let's compromise and say 4 days earlier. That's four days in a snug harbor on the hook with access to fresh groceries and cold beer. That sounds comfortable to me.

And when you discus bows you MUST take it out of the relm of 2D geometry. We are nt talking about flat plane bows cutting through flat plane waves. Bows are volumes, not 2D planes, and it is possible to have a sharp angle of entry and volume forward at the same time.

But I'll be the devil's advocate here. There is this tendancy to cling to the old like we will will never have it better. That's silly. When I was 27 years old I designed the Valiant 40 and proved that new can be very good. I was ridiculed and attacked. John Neale attacked me. Ray Richards attacked me. It's a long list. It's hard to break loose from the past. But I prevailed and the "radical" offshore cruising boat I drew back then is now considered ultra conservative. Times change. Best to be ready to change along with them. Or not. Me? I'm a hog for good performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook