SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Lets choose SmackDaddy's new boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks CD/Jeff. Great feedback. It's great to be here and talking about boats again (oh, and I'd love to hear from that owner BTW).

I have always loved the Firsts. But, I will admit, within my specs/budget - the biggest downside for every one I've looked at thus far is the stupid headliner. THEY ALL SAG! And it's not cheap fixing them. But...they sail...no doubt.
Anytime to speak with him. He and I are very, very good friends. Damn knowledgeable sailor too. Been all over he carribean, bahamas, spent 5 years in venezuela, etc.

My issue with the FIrsts is that they aren't fast enough to outrun a solid, high performance race boat so you are going to be running PHRF anyways so get something that does OK, but is comfortable for the family - which is critical if you ever want to look into more distant options as we discussed.

THe fridge and freezer on that boat is big enough to put a few refugees in, the salon is wide and comfortable with nice backroom, the table is large for several people, the aft berth and showers are great and roomy, and the cockpit is nice and well made. THere are two heads which is nice when you get two boys aboard and the nonskid is better than most boats. THis isn't a thin-plastic boat like some Hunter has made. There are a few little building glitches with it, but all boats have them (errhmm, except mine of course!!). I know that boat will run a comfortable 7.5 in 15-20. I have been there when it did it. Course, I was running about 8.2 so (hehe... had to throw that in there). That is a live-aboard boat, btw. BIG DIFFERENCE from a weekender that is light and empty.

Anyways, happy to help.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook