SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI to Panama Canal
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 04-08-2013 Thread Starter
rockDAWG
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Re: BVI to Panama Canal

I did the east side Yucatan channel last year, It was not bad at all except that when we were in Florida Strait, we lost jib and main sails at 2 am in the morning. We had the easterly wind (20 to 25 kn) against the Gulf stream. I made the call and returned to Key West.

To address your concerns:

1. I have Cornell's book, I will consult it before heading out. But I am not overly worried, becasue what do you expect Cornell to say. One must evaluate each condition carefully. A Chinese proverb says: It is better not read the book, if you must believe it entirely.

2. It is going to be a short handed crew only the owner/captain and I which I prefer. We have autopilot and Wind vane, no other back up. I carry Phenegan suppositories and injectables, I am prepared. I don't know about the owner, but I can stay up at least 48 hours without missing a beat. Give me another 3 hrs sleep, I am good as new.

Thanks for the heads up. I will consider your points carefully. I often draw on many expert advices in from many sources. I am caution but not worried. If sh*t hits the fan, I know what to do to save the boat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome