SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI to Panama Canal
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI to Panama Canal

I did the east side Yucatan channel last year, It was not bad at all except that when we were in Florida Strait, we lost jib and main sails at 2 am in the morning. We had the easterly wind (20 to 25 kn) against the Gulf stream. I made the call and returned to Key West.

To address your concerns:

1. I have Cornell's book, I will consult it before heading out. But I am not overly worried, becasue what do you expect Cornell to say. One must evaluate each condition carefully. A Chinese proverb says: It is better not read the book, if you must believe it entirely.

2. It is going to be a short handed crew only the owner/captain and I which I prefer. We have autopilot and Wind vane, no other back up. I carry Phenegan suppositories and injectables, I am prepared. I don't know about the owner, but I can stay up at least 48 hours without missing a beat. Give me another 3 hrs sleep, I am good as new.

Thanks for the heads up. I will consider your points carefully. I often draw on many expert advices in from many sources. I am caution but not worried. If sh*t hits the fan, I know what to do to save the boat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook