SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bad things that happen at sea.
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013

P424 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad things that happen at sea.

I have seen 2 out of 4 boats lost in one group. We left with plenty of time to make the crossing. In fact even with slowing down so the others could catch up the ones that were lost were the late ones. One of the boats was relatively untried. They had been out a few times. Their rudder broke in the seas and had a leak they couldn't fix on an old steel boat. The other boat wouldn't listen when told they weren't prepared. They had a mechanical problem that would keep them home. I refused to help them with it . Some real nice guy who knew nothing of what was going on fixed it for them. It failed and after they did everything wrong they could they were drifting north in the gulf stream with no power or sails and a tropical storm bearing down on them. I did something I will never do again I put my boat and the other boat in danger to go back and try to help them. As it was we caught them as the coast guard helo had gotten there. Great People My hats off to them. Seems the crew in trouble had no safety equipment no flairs no offshore vest only ski vests. No EPIRB and hardly new how to use their GPS. Lots of bear wine and ice though. So God does look out for fools and others. No one was hurt. Never saw that couple again. Dont want to. I had told them before 2 words they need to look into. MOTOR HOME I herd they got one. I had know them from a trip I took with them to the Keys after that one I said never but got screwed by a good sameritin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook