SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI to Panama Canal
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: BVI to Panama Canal

Oh, thanks, I remember just missing you, they had called me into work early. I owed them day's because they let me go home for a Hurricane that passed through Key West. I spoke breifly with you on the phone as I was driving to meet my tug boat in Miami.
Any way's, I don't remember what I said to you about the Belize run. I do remember it was my first single handed passage on my boat. I was 19. I'm doing that run basicly next month, Key west to Honduras non stop. I'll be on the east side of the Yucatan Channel out of the current reaching south with my brand new Capehorn wind vane...can't friken wait! I'm going up to Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale on wed. with permission from my wife to spend as much as I want on whatever I think I need! I have been waiting for this day for 20 years. I'll be like a fat kid in a chocolate store. But I digress. I think the B.V.I to Panama is a great passage for any body to get out and do a longish run, be a great run to take a newbie on. It's day 4 that you really get into the groove, and on day 9 you feel like you could keep going for another week or 2. If you make for Jamaica, a newbie would know if they wanted off the boat or not. If you have good weather you can decide not to stop, The only sea's around the area that are worse than the straights of Fla. with an opposing east wind at 25 to 30, is the Yucatan channel in a strong norther, and what I call the "blue circle" off the north coast of Columbia. So if you have stuck your nose out in to the straights with an east at 30, you can handle running down the trades. No reason to run down to Columbia in my oppinion. (Except that Cartegenia is the jewl of the Carribean as far as city's go.)

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 04-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook