SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI to Panama Canal
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI to Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post

1. I have Cornell's book, I will consult it before heading out. But I am not overly worried, becasue what do you expect Cornell to say. One must evaluate each condition carefully. A Chinese proverb says: It is better not read the book, if you must believe it entirely.
I expect Cornell to give his honest assessment of any passage he's describing... What are you expecting him to say?

I find WORLD CRUISING ROUTES to generally rather dry and sober, and somewhat understated in many of his descriptions of routes... I certainly don't see him being purposely 'alarmist', in any way. When he opens a description with "This can be a very rough passage", it's probably worth noting... His overall description of the passage between the NE and Bermuda sounds rather tame, for example - and yet history shows it can often turn into a brutal trip, with boats now being lost or abandoned with regularity...

Your citing that Chinese proverb would appear to make little sense, in this context. Cornell's descriptions of cruising routes should not be viewed as a long-term weather forecast, and it's entirely possible your passage may indeed turn out to be an "easy sail"... But if you do indeed have better sources from which to "evaluate" this passage than a book like Cornell's, or the Pilot Charts of the North Atlantic, then by all means use them, and it probably would be better "not to read the book" at all... (grin)

How did your trip down the Thorny Path turn out, btw?

Last edited by JonEisberg; 04-08-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook