SailNet Community - View Single Post - stepping/unstepping mast on Cal 25-2
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013

Fair Winds is on a distinguished road
Cool stepping/unstepping mast on Cal 25-2

Can a few experienced old sea dogs give me a thumbs up on how to go about unstepping or stepping the mast on a Cal 25-2 (Mark II)?

I am considering buying one and within the year I should haul it and have a new bottom job, hull paint, deck paint etc.

I owned a Cal 24 for seven years and taking the mast down or putting it up was a fairly routine job for three people. There is a fitting on the deck of a Cal 24 with a bolt fore and a bolt aft so you can unstep the mast either direction by taking one bolt out and using the other as a fulcrum point..

But I'm looking at the Cal 25-2 and no such luck. It seems to go down into the deck and on the one I'm looking there is what may be a collar or sorts around the base of the mast where it meets the deck. Do you somehow remove this collar and, voila!, it makes itself self evident how to proceed?

The seller of this boat is a landlubber who seems to know so little about his craft.

Does this mast by chance require a crane? Or can 3-4 people safely bring this mast down using a gin pole system? I simply can't see how you get the base of the mast loose.

Anyone familiar with this boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook