SailNet Community - View Single Post - Display US Flag on shrouds
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007

johnsail is on a distinguished road
Flag etiquette purists

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie
Rep Rating is based on how YOU rate other members posts by clicking on the little scales in the top right corner.
With only 5 posts John has not had a chance to develope much of a rep with the computer despite the large one he has with those of us who know his work!
Welcome John and feel free to post enough to boost your reputation!!
For what it's worth...I like your books (especially Fastnet)...but I like your wife's books even better!

Yes, some people still care passionately and sometimes not too politely about traditional flag etiquette routines, like flying the burgee from the main masthead, not the starboard spreader. I'm not such a purist in that department, but (getting back to the question that launched this thread) I do believe the ensign belongs aft. It's traditional, but more important that's where it's visible from almost all directions.

New to this blog as I am (though not to SailNet), I'll take a pat on my rep any time (and will pass on those kind words to the other writer in the house). I'm doing another NorthU seminar in San Francisco in mid-March, and one also in Portland, OR.

John Rousmaniere
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook