SailNet Community - View Single Post - North Sails Direct fiasco
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: North Sails Direct fiasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DalesStar View Post
I WORKED ON THE BOAT FOR 12 YEARS IN MY BACK YARD. IT WAS NEVER IN THE WATER., (Personal attack removed per forum rules, Jeff H Sailnet Moderator). The sail took 4 weeks to make. I paid for fast shipping and they shipped the wrong one and shipped mine on the ship, which arrived a week later. Pay attention. Sail makers have the dimensions for every boat. There was nothing they said that I had to provide. I'm new at sailing so I believe them. My bust., not trying to win a court case, if you want to buy from the go ahead. I'll even insist that you do.
I am surprised that they didn't ask for any measurements. It is not always as simple as ordering a sail based on the model of the boat. My boat, for example, was a relatively limited production run. There were about 110 boats built over 8 years, and in that time there were 4 different rigs offered. I happen to have the dimensions for 3 of those rigs, but my sail maker still came down to measure everything when I ordered a sail.

We hear stories like yours fairly often, although usually the real horror stories are the small lofts, not usually the big guys like North and Quantum. In almost every case, when we dig a little deeper a more complete story comes out.

What was their reasoning for not reimbursing you for the express shipping? $500 seems a pretty steep price to pay to get your sail a few days earlier.
That must be a fair percentage of the cost of the sail!
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook