SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI to Panama Canal
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI to Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I expect Cornell to give his honest assessment of any passage he's describing... What are you expecting him to say?
It is worth noting that Jimmy wrote World Cruising Routes (WCR) based on older Sailing Instructions. While he has sailed a lot he hasn't sailed everywhere. *grin* Like the products of most research projects it can indeed be a little dry. That doesn't make it less useful! I'm pretty sure I can tell from his comments when he has sailed a route, but even so one, two, or three trips on a route aren't statistically significant.

There are two reasons that references like WCR and pilot charts should be taken with a grain of salt. First, weather patterns have indeed changed over time. Second, Sailing Instructions and more recent weather observations from ships at sea understate historical conditions because ships try to avoid bad weather. Jimmy will be among the first to agree.

Jimmy Cornell and his son have collaborated on a massive new project, throwing away all the oldest data and compiling the information from visual, thermal, and radar overhead imagery to generate updated pilot charts for the planet.

You can get yours at Amazon (
Cornell's Ocean Atlas: Pilot Charts for All Oceans of the World: Jimmy Cornell: 9780955639654: Amazon.com: Books Cornell's Ocean Atlas: Pilot Charts for All Oceans of the World: Jimmy Cornell: 9780955639654: Amazon.com: Books

). Mine is signed. *grin*
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook