SailNet Community - View Single Post - What made you buy your boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: What made you buy your boat?

I like most people that have this sailing dream, something brought us all here. Some common thread. Mine was not to conquer the ocean or win all the PHFR races on the eastern seaboard. Mine was not to circle the globe in a small boat.
My goal was my freedom. I just turned 50 this year and I want my time.
I want to explore. I want to see places, to be challenged by the elements. I want to sleep in sometime. So, I began to read this and other sites about sailing and people that have made the transition from the rat-race.That's when I started researching what kind of boats sailors chose and why they chose them over the others. I thought " they cant all be wealthy" How can I enjoy this life style too?

That's when I put a plan together. "I will get one of the old boats hanging on to a mooring ball and petition the court to take Poisson". Then all I would have to do is bring it back to life. "hard work..."
the first step was to find one. it didn't take long before I found one in the local waters of Beaufort SC. "C&C30MK1 1981 model" Solid as a rock She was. just a little wet on the inside. With mold and dirt dobber nest everywhere.

1 year plan "Move to the cost"
5 year plan Get position of a free boat and learn to sail it
10 year plan downsize, sell off everything, Leave 5 to 6 month's each year.

It was my hope to find a free sailboat that would be able to handle short offshore hopes and big enough for my wife and I to cruse the eastern seaboard from the Chesapeake to St. Thomas, VI. I wanted:
1) Wheel Steering with auto steering
2) Pressure Water
3) good sail inventory
4) Stove
5) Head
6) 6' standing room
7) Strong Bones
She had all but a furling system and windless.

This past summer we put only 700 miles under her keel and I look forward to pushing harder this year to go harder and become with the boat. i hope to put 2500 miles on her this summer. I have worked on almost all systems to bring her back from the brink. I need to do some mast wiring yet. The steamer light don't work. other than that my water pump inlet hose on my yanmar is rubbing on the engine saddle wearing my hose out to the water pump. Not shure what to do there? I will have to move the engin over to stop this which will put the shaft out of align? I think she was a good choice at $2,500.00 bucks. and another 6 grand to bring her back. its fair to say i have been bitten. I will start sleeping with her this spring.

[IMG][/IMG]
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook