SailNet Community - View Single Post - What made you buy your boat?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
Re: What made you buy your boat?

I had given up on trailer sailing (too many good weekends went by with my boat in the backyard) and rented a mooring at a boat club. This was on the Piscataqua River; saltwater leading to the mighty Atlantic; no more lake sailing for me!

I intended to keep the Capri 18 and the trailer, but only launch and retrieve once a year. I would get to enjoy the ocean and keep my maintenance and storage costs down. This was plan in November of 2011.

Well, January of 2012 I'm browsing YachtWorld (evil, evil people) and I see a Catalina 25 for sale an hour north of me asking $4,995. "That's nice," I think. "I'll go look at it when the weather warms up." I check next week (I can stop whenever I want, really) and now they're asking $4,200. So, I drive up that weekend to see why it is so cheap (you know the story, "the photo only shows the good side" or "it does have sails, but...") well, I'm still looking.

I managed to pick up the C25 for the proceeds of the C18 sale plus $350.

Then the work started. I had traded my well cared for 1988 boat with a 2002 engine for a near derelict 1982 with the original 1981 Evinrude. I was in the water on May 11, but didn't have the mast up until July 4th and didn't sail until mid September. Then I broke my foot (and broke my favorite sunglasses and lost my favorite hat) my first time out and had to take 2 more weeks off.

I only got out 2 more times before it was time to pull her for the season.

So the C25 cost me:
My old boat
$350
Thousands more to get her into shape
Pretty much a full season of sailing

But, this year I have a new (to me) Honda outboard and I'm building on last year's progress. Instead of looking at 8 expensive things I have to buy, I'm looking a few cool things I want to buy.

The cover is already off and I'm knocking things off my work list!

See you on the water,

Ken

P.S. The C25 was a good call, that C18 would have been lost in that busy river; the C25 bounces around enough!

Here's a photo I added after posting this; we'll see if it gets through:

sigh.

Well, here's link:

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CarbonSink62; 04-09-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: This thread is useless without pics!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook