SailNet Community - View Single Post - Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013

HardTAC is on a distinguished road
Re: Perkins 4.108M DIY Rebuild -- A Narrative

Thank you so much, PorFin, for posting your project in such detail!

I am new to the forum and am super impressed with all the information and contributors here!

My wife an I just inherited a '79 Morgan 382 with a 4.108M. The boat is in pretty good shape, but has been sitting in the yard for almost 5 years. The boat only had one owner (an aircraft machinist) who was pretty malicious about everything (including the engine). But he has passed away and I have almost no history on the boat.

Anyway, five years is five years. The engine was properly winterized way back when, but I'm still concerned about firing the Perkins up for the first time. I'm gonna replace the fuel, filters, oil, batteries, etc., before attempting to start. But, I'm wondering if there's anything unique to this engine I should be aware of before attempting to crank her up?

I know this should probably be it's own thread, but I got so caught up in your detailed rebuild, I thought you (and those following this thread) would have some good advice. Besides, if the engine proves to have a lot of issues, I'll be re-referencing all your steps as I go through the re-build process myself!

Thanks again everyone; I plan to be frequent visitor/contributor.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook