SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Nacra 17

I believe this boat will bring a lot to sail and particularly to women while sailors. It is not completely innovative since it is based on their smaller and bigger sisters (F16 and 18) but the curved foil gives it a character of his own and makes it particularly fast and difficult to sail. The ones that tried the boat talk about "flying" A great boat no doubt and racers are excited about it and that's a good sign

This boat was designed expressly by Morrelli & Melvin to meet the criteria that was demanded by ISAF for the new Olympic class: mixed multihull. the story as told by the designers:

"Since no existing design or class fit the ISAF specs, we decided to create an all-new design that is about 17 feet long, called the NACRA 17. Compared to an F16 class catamaran, it is 250mm longer, 100mm wider, has a taller mast and more sail area, and curved daggerboards. The curve boards also give an added dimension to the sailing".

The boat started to be made last year and the first images show a very fast, fun and demanding boat to sail. Besides that it is for a mixed crew so instead the boys instead of saying to the girls: "I am going to sail with my fiends" will start to say: "Won't you come and sail with me".

I expect this to be a very popular class and a spectacular one:

Nacra 17, olympic mixed multihull in Rio 2016_ENG from FilMotion // Luca Carton on Vimeo.

Newberry / Casey 2016 Nacra 17 Promo Video from Penalty Box Productions on Vimeo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 04-09-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook