SailNet Community - View Single Post - Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Modern Hull forms and Motion Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Mr. Wolf:
I understand that but I feel a distinct disconnect in our effort to communicate on things pertaining to yacht design and yacht performance. There is a fantasy side to it that I applaud and encourage. I tell my clients, "Have fun. We are not looking for comfortable shoes." But this is my life's work and I do not have the luxury of staying in fantasy land. I have the responsibility to give my clients a boat that is better in every way than their previous boat. I therefore must be always moving forward and adjusting the performance target beyond what was acceptable even ten years ago let alone 30 years ago. The boat currently being built at Pacific Seacraft in NC will cost around two million dollars. With a project like that I have no option but to be "real" and the word "compromise" be damned.

My own ability to assess the performance of boats by an acceptable current standard is sharply honed and must stay flexible because performance is a moving target.
To some the fantasy is the cutting edge design and high tech performance with the equally high tech gadgets and gizmos as well as all the gear to squeeze every ounce of speed out of the boat and to some the fantasy it the grace and simplicity of an older design boat, designed to take as little work as possible.
As far as "fantasy land".....if you stay on land then everything remains a fantasy, it is when you get on the water your own personal fantasy, no matter what is is, becomes reality.
I find it refreshing talking with you, rather than the people who not only think their way is the only way but are totally clueless about what they are talking about.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook