SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 2QM15: How can I keep it running forever?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013

Rusty123 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar 2QM15: How can I keep it running forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Seakamp Engineering (Bellingham), or AAA Marine in Tacoma can supply nice little heat exchangers that might be worth looking into, but it is a pricey project. You would preserve the current condition of any loss of metals due to corrosion with RWC in play.
I called Sen-Dure (the original manufacturer of the FWC conversion kit). The gentleman I spoke to confirmed that they no longer sell the kit (low demand), but they still sell the HX (about $365, I think he said). Although the kit included a pulley operated pump (and brackets) for fresh water circulation, he advocated using a 12v pump instead, mounted on the bulkhead (along with the HX). The existing pulley driven pump would still pump RW, but through the HX instead of through the block. I assume it would still need to discharge into the exhaust elbow, so corrosion in the elbow wouldn't be reduced.

I'm guessing I could do this conversion for about $500 - $600, which doesn't seem too bad, particularly given the price of repowering.

I'd be interested in hearing feedback from others who have converted their engines to fresh water cooling.

Last edited by Rusty123; 04-09-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook