SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starting a business?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Starting a business?

Look at the Woodwind site. That's your competition. Check the prices. You have to beat that number with better service and quality experience.

You cannot compete single-handed, even with an autopilot. You have to have someone tending to clients.

You have to have a captain's license, at least a six-pack.

If you had a really nice boat you could pick up the edges of the market, like marriage proposals, some anniversaries, the odd family outing. Something like a Beneteau 42CC might get some traction in the middle Bay. Maybe.

You have to pump out good food and drink, have a soft and comfortable but exhilarating ride.

If you can't do food prep yourself (remember nice service - more capital into plates, tableware, and glassware) you're going to spend a lot at Ken's Kitchen, Main Ingredient, Leeward Market, or one of the other "boaty" caterers around town. Another reason to have a good chef/mate.

I suggest as gently as I can that you stop reading about boats and start doing a competitive analysis. I suspect you'll conclude that this nifty idea of yours doesn't have the potential you think it does. Sorry.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook