SailNet Community - View Single Post - Busted Navpod
Thread: Busted Navpod
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road
Re: Busted Navpod

Hellosailor is right about the pix.

I have been communicating with the PRESIDENT of Ocean Equipment, who has made a very generous offer of sending me a replacement back for a tempting discount. My Pod is not longer current, so I guess they have some old inventory they'd be happy to part with. I still think my best option is to try glueing it up, and if that fails, I can order the replacement.

That the President of the company answered my questions makes me think that this company takes client care very seriously. I would be quite prepared to deal with a company like that in the future.

So the thing is ABS, apparently. I don't want to use plumbing solvent as it is yellow, and hard to work with, I was thinking about white exterior grade silicone. Glue it up, and I can shave off the squeeze-out with a razor afterward. I have used silicone as adhesive (not on boats) lots of times. Thoughts?

Edit to add: Apparently you can solvent weld it with Methylene Chloride, and I happen to have a can of that left over from making up a plexiglass companionway door. The smallest can the vendor sells is about a half litre. The companionway door took maybe 3cc.

Last edited by Ritchard; 04-09-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook